Sunday 7 September 2008

Uninvited guest.


      
                                       

 There was a visitor in the garden today. A dark-eyed rogue perched on the bird table nibbling in a charming manner.

Great table etiquette - a little of this, not too much of that, all eaten in a very tidy way.

He saw me approaching and at first ignored me, but eventually leapt into the cherry tree from where I thought he would scoot across the other gardens and disappear.

After a few seconds a bushy tail appeared around the tree trunk and shook vigorously in my direction. 



Having failed to frighten me away, a small face peeped around, decided I was no threat and returned to his feast.

While I was charmed by the novelty of having a squirrel in the garden, my partner was not and ran up the path clapping his hands and shooing it away.

He's right of course.

It's a rat with a tail and will only steal the eggs and nestlings from any bird nests in the spring.

But for the moment I don't mind if he makes an occasional return and shares the bird seed with the starlings and sparrows....as long as he doesn't tell his friends.
 

1 comment:

Sue Swift said...

I have squirrels in my garden in London and love watching them. sometimes they get tame enough to feed from your hand - but watch they don't get too tame or next thing they're in the house with you.

Came in from Blotanical. Wanted to leave you a welcome message there, but the site is taking so long to load I gave up. Hope this is just as good!