Monday 1 September 2008

It's the little things that count.

 The garden is full of colour.
 
Dahlias, pelargoniums, petunias and begonias are all strutting their stuff and flaunting their gorgeousness.
 
Cannas are at their finest with striped and gaudy foliage and frilly petalled blooms glowing at the tips of the stems.

But the flower that stopped me in my tracks this morning is very small, inconspicuous and soberly coloured.

I discovered it while watering the pots in my conservatory - a tiny purpley-mauve earthstar at the base of a 'Milky Way' aspidistra.I've never seen one before and it was one of those rare gardening moments where all you can say is 'Oh!'



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love those moments in the garden (or in this case greenhouse), the delightful surprise. I was delighted when some lady ferns grew from spores in the cracks of my patio. They have now grown to beautiful, lush ferns.